Interesting stuff

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Weight Loss Sunglasses

This is such an interesting article by
By Glenn Mueller
eDiets Senior Writer/Editor

It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the hit song from the early '80s, but maybe the real reason Corey Hart wears his sunglasses at night is to keep his appetite under control. If you've been following the latest headlines, you'll know that a Japanese company is currently marketing a special line of sunglasses to help dieters lose weight. (As the popular humorist Dave Barry is fond of saying, "I am NOT making this up!")

The Japanese company, Yumetai, claims their magic glasses work in two ways:

Since the lenses are blue, they make food look extremely unappetizing. The company claims that the color blue suppresses the appetite sensors in the brain.
The lenses also block red light, which is said to stimulate the appetite center in the brain.
And to think, all this time I thought the secret to losing weight was to burn off more calories than you take in. I have been wasting valuable time trying to follow a healthy meal plan and get to the gym, when all I really have to do is wear blue sunglasses. Where do I sign up?! I'll wear two pairs at the same time... that way, I'll be sure to lose twice as much weight.

Oh well. In a culture obsessed with instant gratification, I guess it is not surprising that companies keep marketing absurd diet gadgets. After all, they wouldn't keep creating them unless people were buying them. As the great P.T. Barnum once said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Now, I'm tempted to say that weight-loss sunglasses are the most ridiculous weight-loss product of all time, but I know they have stiff competition. There have been slippers, earrings, patches and even insoles for shoes that were marketed to help people lose weight. Not to mention sauna suits, soaps, stimulating electrodes and vibrating belts.

1 comment:

BeFit4Free.com (Curtis) said...

Hi, I checked out your blog, and thought you had a good site!
Weight Loss Sunglasses??? What's next???

I own a web site that offers over 6,000 Discount Weight Loss Supplements, and I thought you might like to check it out!
All supplements are priced below wholesale, and we add new products monthly! http://befit4free.com/weightloss
If you need anything, here’s a code for FREE SHIPPING on larger orders: freeship150
Hope you have a great day, and keep up the good wok on the weight loss!
-Curtis
http://BeFit4Free.com